Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Great Christmas Record Odyssey, Ep. XI

Album Title:  We Wish You a Merry Christmas
Album Artist:  Ray Conniff and the Ray Conniff Singers

One look at this album and you can't help but chuckle to yourself.  "Are these guys serious?  How campy is this record?"

It does come across so, for sure; this album is one part Christmas carol medleys, one part the Hobbit's Glenn Yarbrough, one part Barbarella, one part CBS' Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and two parts early '60s London swing.  You intrigued yet?  You should be, folks.  Is this indeed a strange mix?  Definitely.

But, believe it or not, it works.

Swingers (I especially like the creepy due in the middle, copping a feel.  For Baby Jesus.)
I like this one.
No idea who 'Dottie' is. . .

This album - like the cover art suggests, is a lot of fun.  Its total '60s cheesiness, but it relishes in it, and, like other albums I've reviewed so far, it does it so well embracing its roots that it holds up.

This album's collection of carols and holiday medleys ranges from early folk arrangements (pre-Dylan Greenwich Village folk. . . the kind of folk that didn't scare parents back in the day), to jazzy Yuletide renditions, to straight-up early '60s R & B and Shuffle.  The vocalists lead the songs instead of overpowering them, and to listen to it - ignoring the 'Singers' title on the front cover - you wouldn't think you were listening to a vocal album.  The music itself holds up and then some:  I'm a big fan of these medleys.

. . .is he doing a magic trick?
Dated?  Yeah, of course it is; if it's one thing the '60s did well, it was give their holiday tunes a signature 'sound.'  On this album, the folky accoustic guitar comes and goes, as does the full marching band, the orchestra, and the little collection of South-of-the-Border mariachi players.

If it sounds random, that's 'cause it is.  By all rationale, one shouldn't have a mariachi band playing The First Noel here, only to have a heavy folk rendition of Twelve Days of Christmas appear on the same side of the record.  But Ray Conniff does it.

I don't even know who the hell Ray Conniff is, but I'm a big fan of his now.  This album kicks ass.

VERDICT:  9/10 - Cowabunga! (A pleasant surprise.)

- REMAINS IN CIRCULATION -

Album Title:  God Rest Ye Merry, Jazzmen
Album Artist:  Various Artists

I know this is going to ruffle a few feathers, but I need to get this off my chest once and for all:

I don't like  jazz.

There.  I said it.  Jazz bores me.

Meh.
While there are a few jazz albums I do like - Brubek's Take Five, Vince Guaraldi Trio's Charlie Brown Christmas  ("10/10" The Houghs) - most of the rest I could happily do without for the remainder of my music-snobbish existence.

(Take that, hipsters.)

Jazz tries to hard.  And honestly, if music's so complex and so intricate that I can't whistle or tap my foot along to it, I really don't see a point in listening.  I don't care how talented you are, Jazz Musicians:  you don't need to try so hard convincing everyone you're awesome.

You ever hear the drummer from AC/DC?  That guy sure as hell doesn't show off, but he still rocks the drums.

Very rarely does any song on here in any way, shape or form resemble the Christmas song it's supposedly emulating.  Some bars you get the basic melody peaking through, but then it becomes drowned in overly-complicated drum fills, sax solos, and piano spasms.

Are these dudes talented?  Absolutely.  But I'd rather have a happy-go-lucky, homeless guy with two teeth slobbering into a harmonica and carrying 'Jingle Bells' than listen to this.

. . . come to think of it, that sounds awesome.  Someone round me up a hobo.  Post haste.

VERDICT:  5/10 - Meh (Tries too hard.  I'm not impressed.)

- SHELVED -


- Brian

No comments: