Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Great Christmas Record Odyssey, Ep. VIII

Kicking off another installment of Yuletide sweetness, it's time for some jams. . .

Album Title:  Disney's Christmas All-Time Favorites
Album Artist:  Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, some other non-animated people, etc.


A couple of years ago, while in town for the infamous Zack Smith’s nuptials, I found myself in a Livonia antique store with my buddy, Seloske.  While browsing through the [overpriced] vinyl they had on hand, I stumbled upon this rare gem (which I believe I paid $3 for) in near-mint condition.  I quickly snatched this record up because, as I’m sure you all know, this album is a holiday staple for all those kids who grew up in the ‘70s and ‘80s.

This record was made in 1983, so consequently Yours Truly grew up with it throughout my ‘80s Christmases.  It stands among the pantheon of family Christmas music from my childhood, alongside the Vince Guaraldi Trio’s A Charlie Brown Christmas, the soundtracks of classic TV specials like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman, and various Muppets and Sesame Street specials and movies.  Every track on this album here is familiar, and upon dropping the needle on the turntable, each one brings on a whole slew of childhood memories.

Gang's All Here
Now that I have children of my own, this record is indeed welcome company during the Holiday season.  My girls enjoy it, which testifies to how much this children’s album holds up after the thirty or forty years since it was released.  The Disney characters on here - like the Muppets, Rudolph, and Frosty - are timeless, and the tracks they appear on are, by this point in time, part of the general Christmas experience.  The only downside to this album is the fact that there are a handful tracks on this album that only feature the children’s choir and lead male vocalist that ‘accompany’ Mickey, Donald and Co.  Particularly the more reverent songs, like ‘Silent Night,’ ‘Away in a Manger,’ etc.

Who needs a coaster?
It makes total sense, though - who wants to hear Goofy belt out ‘Away in a Manger?’  That borders on sacrilege

In summary, I highly recommend this album finds a place into your Christmas music collection.  It’s the battle cry of your Yuletide Inner Child, and is, in my opinion, one of the best children’s Christmas albums ever recorded.

VERDICT:  8/10 - Awesome  (Loses a couple points for the non-character tracks.)

- REMAINS IN CIRCULATION -


- Brian

No comments: