Tuesday, January 19, 2010

At the Movies...

It is official.


There are two people in the known world who have yet to see Avatar: some mountain-man hermit living in the backwoods, coal country of West Virginia... and me.

I have not seen Avatar yet, which makes me somehow much like the white rhinoceros. I have nothing against the film, mind you - I just don't like spending more than $3 to see a movie... and seeing how I have yet to invent a working vehicle suitable for time travel (its in the works, people), I doubt I'll be able to hand over three Washingtons for a flick at a movie theater any time soon.

Anyway.

One movie that I do highly recommend to everybody out there is this: Reclaiming the Blade.


Hear me out...


Narrated by John Rhyes Davies and featuring practically every master swordmaster, swordsmith, historian, researcher, and knowledgable person on the face of the earth, this documentary traces the lineage of the sword, discusses its importance throughout history, and details the unique Western Martial Arts commonly practiced throughout the High Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Intrigued? Of course you are!!

When I first stumbled across this film, I practically soiled myself. It's like it was pretty much custom-made to suit my tastes, and it me on the verge of tears from start to finish. True, this may be due to my creepo-obsession with swords, which borders on a LARP-level of pure nerdishness, but I think 'normies' might find this film interesting, too (though my wife would beg to differ).

If you're in the mood for some quality, historical, badical film-making - and don't feel like shelling out more than $3 to see a movie about blue, naked people who run through jungles and hug trees - please check out this movie as soon as humanly possible. You'll be glad you did.

Best Wishes,

- Brian

No comments: