Thursday, November 20, 2014

Walkin' the Green Mile

For those of you who keep tabs on our family, you may remember me mentioning before how Kris and I had determined to terminate my ability to procreate the species.  It was a long time coming, but with my current health insurance kicking ass the way it does, we decided to pull the trigger and get the procedure over and done with.

I go in tomorrow morning for what I'm sure will be a relatively lackluster affair, and honestly I'll be surprised if the whole procedure lasts longer than an hour.  No, what I'm far more concerned with is the aftermath of having my balls sliced open.

Three days of bed rest.

This is both a curse and a blessing.  On one hand, I've been given strict orders by the medical powers that be to stay off my feet until Monday.  I've been given prescriptions for Amoxicillin and Vicodin, and instructions to apply (ice twenty minutes on and twenty minutes off) for the next three days, not lift anything heavy, keep kids and pets off my lap, and not get up unless I absolutely have to use the bathroom.

While this sounds like a complete and utter Borefest, rest assured Yours Truly has taken several precautions to combat boredom at every turn.  I took down one of the bookcases from my Study and transformed it into a video game command center:

Booya.

As you can see from the above picture, I brought in the Wii U console and a few videogames from the living room, along with their respective players guides and some other controllers and accessories needed to play certain games.  The charging dock for the Wii U Gamepad is conveniently nearby, as is a charging station for most of my other gadgets.  Along the bottom shelf are two black, leather cases (you can barely see them) of DVDs and computer games, as well as some Rolling Stone and National Geographic magazines, and, of course, my Kindle.

One of my favorites.  Fully stocked.
My trusty, ol' MacBook Pro and random external hard drives are on hand, too - as I'll have plenty of time to work on my iTunes and iPhoto libraries, I'm sure. And there's probably a shitload of crap for work I should probably work on, too.

(But, then again. . . probably not.)

In the background to the left, you can see the black, mini-fridge I brought in from work (as I can't be walking to the kitchen whenever I want.)  That baby's filled with water, snacks, and - of course - tons of craft beer.

So, when all's said and done, I'm going to be charging down one hell of a gauntlet over the next three days, but I'll be damned if I get bored for one, single second of it.

Anyway, sack-slicing and bed-boredom aside, I had to take today off of work.  Yesterday, about half way through the work day I developed a severe headache and what felt like the oncoming wave of a fever.  That lasted throughout the rest of the evening and into this morning, but by early afternoon I was feeling better.  When I picked the kids up from school we decided to throw up a small Christmas tree I recently bought for the girls' playroom.

'Cause we can.

And so, I'll leave you with some pictures of that whole process.

Enjoy.

I had to split up the ornament sets into identical bowls because both girls wanted the pink/purple/silver balls instead of the red/burgundy/gold ones.  Of course.
I recently bought a 50mm lens for our SLR and took it for a test drive with these shots. . . but with the blinds drawn (so the kids could see the Christmas lights), the lighting (or lack thereof) made everything pretty granulated.

Striking a pose with the final product. . .
Alayna channels her inner Black Power, while Abby inexplicably smells the fake Christmas tree.

- Brian

No comments: