Saturday, March 16, 2013

St. Patrick's Day (Observed)

Top 'o the Mornin', America!

'Tis the greatest time of the year, lasses and laddies, and the Houghs once again unfurled their Irish battle pants and got to work doing the holiday justice.

Behold a mighty barrage of St. Patrick's Day (observed) chaos.

Slainté mhaith!

Green pancakes.  A Hough family breakfast staple.
Abby busts out the shamrock-shaped cookie cutters. . .
St. Patrick's Day Pancakes.
This year I decided to forego my usual bottle of Jameson and picked up a bottle of Feckin instead.  My brother, Chris, as well as some work associates highly recommended it.  Turns out they were right to do so.
Breakfast of Champions.
En route to Melbourne, FL once again.  We were almost going to skip it this year - after all, it's nearly an hour and a half drive each way, and last year was horribly crowded - but the girls really wanted to see a parade.  Plus, with kilted pipe n' drum corps, Irish dancers, corned beef and cabbage, a giant inflatable leprechaun, and all the beer you can drink, it was an easy sell on their part.
Watching some kids crap on the DVD player. . . probably Disney Fairies' Secret of the Wings.  Abby has a freak-out if that isn't playing when she walks into a room.
We got to Melbourne early enough this year to nab front row seats for the parade.  I chose a spot that would give me a clear shot as the parade approached our position, allowing me to try out our flashy new camera.
Went with the wagon instead of the stroller this year - the kids seem to like it more, and it doubles as chairs in a pinch.  Of course, maneuvering the colossal thing through packs of sweaty drunks is a royal pain in the ass. . .
I don't know why she's doing this.  It wasn't cold.
Hough gals.
(They don't pose as well for me. . .)
Best. Pizzeria Sign.  Ever.
Patiently awaiting the start of the parade. . .
St. Patrick kicks it off. . .
"Santa's green!"  My kids are dumb.  Then again, I heard the idiots behind us refer to the guy as the Pope. . .
And they didn't even have to lift their shirts for these. . .
March of the clansmen
Alayna's always been skittish with loud noises. . . I guess she won't be playing in bands later.
It isn't St. Pat's unless you see a few of these walking about. . .
I wish cops still drove around in these.
(I don't think this is operational)
Avast!  Bead-wielding, Irish pirates!
Abby's mid-parade snack break.
Unlike her sugar-addict sister, the Cannonball likes to stash hers away for later. . .
The Fez Brigade
Alayna high-fives some guy in a dog firefighter costume, while Abby flees in terror.
I was the only one perplexed by this.  The Vikings plagues Ireland for years, sacking and plundering the coastlines for centuries following the fall of Rome.  Why the good people of Melbourne decided it was 'legit' to include a Viking war galley in an Irish parade is beyond me. . .
If you look past the weird-looking thing on the back of this lady's neck, you'll note the banner reading 'New Jersey Kazoo Band.'  I guess Virgil Q has some competition on Their hands. . .
Politely requesting more beads (as if they needed them. . .)
Ah, the ol' yellow Snake Flag. . . misconstrued for centuries.
This guy seems like the sorta guy you'd ask to babysit your kids, am I right?
Like a beacon of hope after nearly an hour of parade-watching. . .
Kris begins to ford her way through the crowds, following the end of the parade.
Kris wanted to hit up the kids craft section beforehand venturing over to the 'beverage section,' as I like to call it.  I grudgingly fell into line. . .
Coloring leprechauns.
Kegs of Daddy's Coffee.
"That's a really big coffee."
Abby grows bored. . .
. . .also a big fan of corned beef and cabbage.
Alayna was captivated by the Irish girls 'jigging' (whatever the hell that dance is called)  up on stage.
I think this guy thought I was taking a picture of him.  He could've at least smiled.
Your standard in-front-of-the-large-leprechaun picture.
So I could've bought three 22oz beers at $6 apiece, OR a $11 32 oz beer in a souvenir mug with a $8 refill.  Once you calculate the usual $1 per drink tip, I more or less got a free cup.  I'm a smart drinker, folks.  Tell your friends.
I don't remember where she got the sucker from, but she was NOT letting it go.
I'm pretty sure Abby had downed the beverage sitting at her feet. . .
Hot three-way.
Heading for the restrooms. . . arguably the grandest port-o-john I've ever seen.
Yes.  This seriously happened.
The great center of festivities. . . usually so crowded it takes a half-hour to pass through it.  We didn't even go inside this year.
Another tradition.  This one extremely unhealthy.
The Cannonball tries her first Shamrock Shake.  Verdict:  Big fan.
- Brian

No comments: