Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Haul


Ahoy, treasure seekers!

The Houghs once again set sail this morning for the semi-annual Hunter's Creek Community Garage Sale. If you'll remember, readers, we're big fans of plunder in this family, and, like last year, today we walked away with our fair share of booty.

(I'm on a pirate kick today, if you couldn't tell).

So, what's the big whoop, then? What'd we score this time around? Well, we dropped approximately $33, folks, and for that amount, we scooped up a treasure trove worth of awesomeness.


Observe:

1. Paperback bookcase - $5. Not one of those 'this is sweet!' purchases, but, for five bucks, it got two boxes of books from the move off our utility room floor. Sure, we've still got four boxes piled up and pissing off Preggosaurus whenever she needs to retrieve a cleaning polearm, but hey... little victories.

2. Toy Lawnmower - $3. Little Tikes convinces kids that this piece of machinery will really cut grass, but upon trying it out personally, I have determined that it does not.

3. General Electric Vintage Radio Alarm Clock - $3. Large, blue L.E.D. display. Silver, big-ass buttons. Premium (imitation) teak paneling. The Man-Room is now equipped with the ability to tell time... vintagely. Think I'm freaking out too much over a clock radio? Here, smurf this out. Evidently I'm not the only one who thinks this old radio is cool. There. In your face.

4. Two Hardcover Books - $1. Baby Laughs by Jenny McCarthy and Best Little Stories from the American Revolution by C. Brian Kelly. (Guess which one's is Kristina's and which one is mine.)

5. Antique Wooden/Iron Chest from Mexico - $3. Another Man-Room purchase, ideal for storing my smoking pipes, tobacco, and related hoo-hah. One of my favorite purchases from today's adventures.

6. Two Storage Bins - $2. Okay, so this was one of Kristina's purchases, 'cause apparently 'we needed a few around the house!' I know what you're thinking, trust me. Hooray. Storage bins.

7. Old World Globe Pencil Holder - $0.50. For the Man-Room writing area. C'mon!

8. Three Ice Cube Trays - $0.30. Meh...

9. Framed and Autographed Pencil/Lithograph of a 18th Century War Frigate - $5. There were three of these beauties, each going for $5. If I were single, I would've purchased all three and hung them in every, possible area of blank, wall space. Being married as I am, I realized I only had room for the one, which was - surprise, surprise - in my Man-Room. Still, for being framed, numbered, and autographed by the artist himself - and being a warship - I kinda wish I would've bought all three and put the other two in storage. Oh well...

10. Original 16 Bit Sega Genesis Gaming System: Console, Standard Controller, Fighter Stick SG-6 Advanced Controller, and 24 Games with original Players/Operating Guides - $10. This was, hands down, the day's grandest find. Found at our Church's mass garage sale, this bundle of glory was stuffed into a garbage bag underneath a back table filled with old, dusty appliances. Attracted to junk as I am, I was quickly drawn to the massive pile of cords, broken buttons, and faded gadgetry. While digging around this area (the same in which I found the General Electric Clock Radio, by the way), my foot accidentally kicked the garbage bag on the floor. Intrigued by the clatter sound that reminded me of video game cartridges, I bent down, opened the bag, and promptly soiled myself. I quickly asked a nearby volunteer worker how much she wanted for the whole bundle, as it was un-priced. She didn't know anything about it, and sheepishly asked if $10 was asking too much.

I informed her that the price was fair, purchased my plunder, and left before someone could correct the mistake.

Kris wasn't enthusiastic about the purchase, initially (her argument being I have too many vintage video gaming systems as it is), but I think she's warmed up to it a little. I've cleaned up the console and games with some rubbing alcohol and plenty of affection and, to my everlasting joy, every, last game for the system still works.

So there you have it. Treasure found, glory attained, and all for a meager $33.

Slainte,

Cap'n "Mad Dog" McHough

No comments: