Friday, October 9, 2009

Random Observed Holiday #227: Leif Erikson Day

Happy Leif Erikson Day, Everybody!

I think its awesome that this guy has his own holiday. I really do. What's funny about this holiday is that nobody knows it exists... mostly due to the fact that nobody knows who Leif Erikson is. If I were to say "Leif Erikson" to someone on the street, the first thing that person would think of (besides, 'why the hell is this random guy talking to me?') would probably be that VH1 Behind the Music special with Leif Garrett.


Leif Garrett probably gets it all the time... I mean, if you look at these two guys, I suppose they sort of look alike, right?

(...and now that I think about it, Leif Garrett probably has his own holiday, too.)

Anyway, my point for bringing this up today in the first place is this: I think it sucks more people don't acknowledge this guy. A holiday's great and all, but its pretty much only observed in Minnesota, Winsconsin, and the Dakotas, where the Scandinavians (or Scandos, as I like to call them) primarily settled when they first emigrated here.

And while its cool the squareheads have their own holiday for a folk hero, I think they should make a bigger push for its universal acceptance. Maybe turn it into a bank holiday status so I can get it off of work, too.


...I mean, seriously - Christopher Colombus has his own holiday, for Christ's sake, and that guy was a butthole.

No comments: