Friday, July 22, 2016

Lemonade from Lemons, Pt. II

(contd.)

Friday
July 22nd
"Fishing, Tubing, and Wrecking Boats"

Strangely enough, despite however late I end up going to bed, I'm still the first one up. Which means I get to have a cup of coffee and enjoy this while other people are still asleep.
Since Brian and Jill were back in Clare, I had promised the boys that I would take them fishing at the butt-crack of dawn.  Dad was going to go with us, but we had to wait for him to get up before we could set off. . . much to the dismay of my nephews.
We finally set sail (or whatever the motorboat equivalent is) after 7am, or, according to Bradley, "after all the good fishing is done."
 
Fishing with my nephews always fills me with anxiety, because I'm always convinced one of them is going to inevitably hook me with a fishing lure while casting their line. . . 
(I'm posing with this, but I didn't fish at all - not my thing.)
Gesturing towards the lily pads, where 'all the big fish are.'  According to 'reliable' sources.
Photobomb
Later on in the morning, we went back out to whip the nephews around the lake on the tube.  Submerging the tube as it's being towed behind a boat is a fan-favorite, but can't be good for the tube, I'm sure. . .
I try and break my telephoto lens out while spotting for Dad. . . but after awhile the movement of the boat while I'm looking through the camera makes me nauseous.
 
Following lunch, we forced the boys to enjoy some quieter, non-boatish activities.  Like so.
The girls had spent a leisurely morning about the cottage while Dad and I kept the nephews entertained.  Splashing around in the lake and getting the dog going is always a popular pastime.
I think this book is from the '40s. . .
Back on the lake.  Surprise, surprise.
We took the Sea Doo boat out for wakeboarding, since the line is attached to the boat's top bar and thereby higher up from the waterline.  I guess this makes it 'better for wakeboarding,' who knows.  Anyway, long story short, after Blake (shown here, sort of) fell one time, Dad drove the boat back around to pick him up and inadvertently drove over Blake's line, sucking it up into the boat's engine intake and causing the motor to seize up. We were stranded out on the lake - without phones or walkie talkies - for about a half an hour. . . 
. . . before this 'Bro' - who probably went by the name of 'Brock' or 'Brant' swung by and offered to tow us into port.  Thanks, Bro.
Kris and the girls paddle boating as Brock was pulling us into the Cottage.
We took advantage of the neighbors' boat launch (while they weren't there) so that we could load the Sea Doo onto the boat trailer.  Dad and Cindy were going to drop it off at the Boat Doctor's, located a couple miles down the road.  Fortunately, a few hours later, they were able to pick up the boat, undamaged (the line had been wrapped around the engine until the turbine couldn't turn any more, nothing else.)  To top it off, Blake even got his line handle back as a souvenir.
Making another run to Bev's
Hey look, here's my nephews watching Frozen.  How cute.
Afternoon at the Cottage
Kris is a big fan of this giant, inflatable beach ball.
Gossiping over snacks. . .?  I don't know.
Dad cleaning some mud splatter off his boat. . . because lake water won't do that.
Grilling up some dinner
(We ate the hell out of this.)
Following dinner, we took all the kids and dogs for a walk around the neighborhood. . .
Upon coming back to the Cottage, we broke out some kiddie fishing poles and let the girls try their hand at fishing (it's really an annual thing in this family.)
Abby's first fish of 2016
Her second one ended up being a perch.  What that means, exactly, I have no idea.
This fish had really hooked itself, so I had to wrestle with the damn thing to get the stupid hook out of its face. . .
(I straight-up loathe taking fish off hooks. . . and everything else there is about fishing in general, for that matter.)
The Cannonball's first fish stick.
Pink looks good on me.
The girls kept all of their fish in a bucket, to "keep as pets."  Of course.
You can see that wasn't about to happen on their heartless parents' watch. . .
Of course Bradley casually caught a bass.
Once the girls went to bed, we let the boys stay up late and watch another R-rated movie. . . because I'm a terrible, terrible uncle.

 - Brian

No comments: