Sunday, June 19, 2022

Back to the Tropics, Day VI

  (contd.)

Day VI
Father's Day and the Voigts
We were able to sleep in a bit this morning, which - considering yesterday's frantic pace and early start - was very much appreciated, indeed.
Here's a glimpse at the sort of shit my kids decided to spend their money on in Epcot's Japan merch store the day before.  I thought they would opt for some ornate ramen bowls, or a couple pairs of flashy chopsticks, but no.  Frickin' Japanese candy that you can buy from Meijer.  I hate kids.

We were going to spend the morning hanging out in our condo pool, which we've done already this week, but this time around we planned on being down there for a few hours.  As such, Kris ran out early in the morning to a Dollar General within walking distance of our condo and bought a bunch of pool noodles and toys for the kids. . . including this $1 squirt gun that she got for me as a - wait for it - Father's Day gift.  This was all I got for Father's Day this year, which shouldn't be all that surprising considering that this often-overlooked 'holiday' was overshadowed by our Florida Vacation.
This classic photo op was taken in response to a similar one sent in our dad thread by one of my buddies who was hanging out on the beach somewhere in Michigan.  I think my pic was far better.
While Kris and Abby got right into the pool, the Cannonball and I decided to bronze first.  Gotta put some serious work into these Florida tans of ours. . .

Bronzing.
Kris ordered herself a Bloody Mary from the Tiki Bar (a little too hot out for my liking - I stuck to a Miller Lite - but to each their own.)
After awhile of sweating I finally got my ass into the pool, where I proceeded to do the usual dad stuff with the girls.

Broke out the GoPro for some water-friendly pics (I took a video but was too lazy to convert it in order to upload it here - Blogger is a pretty finicky platform for uploading video clips, my apologies.)
We grabbed the girls a few smoothies from the Tiki Bar. . . and let them drink them in the pool.  Screw it, we're on vacation.
After three or four hours down by the pool, we came back upstairs to the room, showered, and got around.  Then we headed back out in order to head to the Voigts' house, out in Winter Garden - we were planning on hanging out at their house (and pool) in order to keep things low-key for Father's Day.
It had been a few years since we had to deal with this frickin' gate - used to drive us crazy back in the day.  They don't have gated communities like this where we live.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen any gated communities in Michigan since we moved back, so maybe it's a Florida thing. . .
Kris tries her damnedest with the gate code.  Always takes a hot minute.
We rolled into their place in the early afternoon, and were met by their newest family addition, this miniature dachshund, which both girls wanted to adopt on sight.
Since we had last been to their house in 2019, Adam had recently converted his 'man room' into a home theater - probably the best home theater setup I've seen from any of the people I know.
He installed an automatic projector screen that lowers with a remote - Kris and I are already planning on buying one ourselves now.
As usual, shortly after arriving at the Voigts' house, Adam and I decided to run up to Publix in order to pick up a few things for dinner. . . and several things of beer (I was also running low on Bud Light Limes back at the condo, so I had to stock up.)
It started raining during our grocery run, but, as is the case with most afternoon, summer thunderstorms down in Florida, it didn't stick around long.
Adam 'twisted my arm' into trying some of the new Cigar City beers that have been released since I left.  I was always a huge fan of this Tampa-based brewery back when we lived down here.
Having a couple beers and trying out their fancy, new setup (this is Rogue One.)
Adam takes down orders for pizza (we were keeping it nice and simple this afternoon.)
Alayna revisits an old kitchen toy that she used to get a lot of use out of back in her younger years.  Didn't really hold up, though.
While Abby and the younger kids frolicked in the Voigts' pool, Alayna was satisfied just dangling her feet in the hot tub.  'Cause teenagers.
Couple of dads.
Abby and Ella (the Voigts' youngest), chowing down on some recently-delivered pizza.
Adam sure loves his Jai Alais (a little too hoppy for my taste, I'm not a huge IPA guy.)
Pretty decent pizza, but it's definitely not Buccelli's.
Adam and I came inside at one point and were promptly ushered to take a seat by these two, who had decided that they were going to run a 'restaurant' (Abby was being a pretty good sport with the younger kids. . . unlike her sister, who spent much of the evening on her phone.)
Ella runs a tight ship.
Ella explains the day's specials and takes orders.
The 'menu.'  Not ideal, folks.
Questionable service at this establishment, to be sure.
Our bill was a bit ridiculous, too - if you ask me, $20 for a mushroom salad is pretty steep.
Following our over-priced meal, we came back outside to sit poolside.
(I guess this happens frequently.)
Back in the pool. . .
One of my favorite Cigar City beers, you used to be able to only grab this at the brewery - pretty awesome that they sell it in stores now.
Adam is having the time of his life.

Meanwhile, back in the house. . .
Kris was super stoked that this beach ball matched her meticulously decorated nails (which were specifically done for this trip, of course.)
Sun beginning to set for the evening, kids winding down.
Towards the end of the evening, we once again had to bid farewell to our closest Florida friends - who were hands-down the closest thing Alayna and Abby had to an aunt and uncle for eight years.  Until the next Florida Vacation. . .

- Brian

No comments: