Friday, February 22, 2019

World Thinking Day

Girl Scouts.  Yet again.
Hey Internet,

Another day, another frickin' Girl Scout obligation.  I won't bother you this time again with another one of my tirades against this organization - you all know how I feel about the Girl Scouts - so I'll just cut to the chase:  this evening was World Thinking Day.  Like I explained last year, this was an exhibition of multiple foriegn countries, each represented by a display created by one of Midland's various Girl Scout troops.

It's a f***ing trainwreck.

This year, Alayna's troop chose Germany as their country, and Abby's troop (led by Kris and Courtney) selected India.  They all went up to the Trinity Lutheran church around 5pm in order to set up, but I didn't have to head over until 6:30 or so (booya.)  After an hour or so of watching various cultural 'skits' (which varied from traditional dances, to simple readings, to actual skits), people walked about the room to check out other countries' display boards and 'artifacts' and sample one another's cultural cuisine.

So here we go again:  World Thinking Day '19.

Enjoy.

Super Sashes
Abby's troop.  Bein' weird as always.
Here come Ze Germans.  I had a pretty good video of their troop, but, again thanks to Blogger's 100mb size limit, you folks won't be able to see it.  Sorry, guys.
Alayna's troop leader didn't know how to pronounce the proper German name for this authentic German children's game, so she called it 'Hit the Pot.'  Which I, personally, found quite nostalgic.
The Indian delegation, reading the India Girl Scout pledge.  Or something.  I guess.
Archa, one of the girls in Abby's troop, is of Indian heritage (hence why they picked that particular country), and her mom made up an authentic Indian dish of some kinds of vegetable curry stew that was, in all honesty, one of the greatest things I've ever tasted.  It was incredible, and seeing how the mom 'just threw it in an InstantPot,' we begged her for the recipe.  Hopefully Kris can pull it off.
Some traditional Indian. . . stuff.  Again, Archa's family provided, like, 100% of this display.  Kinda like I did last year with the girls' Ghana display.
The German display.  I observed that there were similar displays from other European countries - Poland, Austria, France, Belgium - so I pulled a few members of Alayna's troop aside and told them that, since they were Germany and everything, they should start seizing other troops' European display boards.  I then had to give a brief lesson on Germany's aggressive behavior during the 1930s and '40s, and I almost had a few of the girls convinced that this was something they should totally do, but Kris - of course - had to shoot that idea down.  Just like the buzzkill she is.
Abby's troop.

- Brian

No comments: