Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Back at 'Em

Okay.  I've discussed previously, on a few counts, the insanity that has been this year's Back to School season.  It's consumed us entirely, and this year is far worse than in previous years for Yours Truly because this time, for the first time since 2007, I'm starting off at a brand-new school as a 'first year' teacher.

And, unlike Brian of 2007, I know exactly what's in store for me.  So I'm all the more stressed-out over it.

I've included some pictures from my classroom as it evolved throughout the month, along with the finished product on the first day of school.  And, accoringdly, I also included pics Kris took of the girls' First Day of School.

So, without further adieu, here we go. . .

My new school's layout is a far-cry from a single, large structure: every grade level has their own, individual building, and there are separate structures for the library/administrative wing, the gym, the auditorium/band room, the cafeteria, etc.  It's all open air, which is cool now, but will probably be really, really shitty come winter time.
My classroom (the custodians, by this point in time, hadn't yet gotten around to moving all the old teacher's crap out to her new room. . .)
I like to think these signs were pretty effective. . .
I had to bring the girls with me while I set up my room on several different days over a two-week period, which was just as much fun as it sounds.  Here's a pic of when they stumbled upon our school mascot costume. . .
The Great Babysitter
The girls' new favorite obsession:  Harry Potter
Slowly making progress.  By this point, most of the other teachers' stuff was moved out (save for one wall that still had her posters over it), so I focused on the other three walls.
A few days later, with all the desks moved in and the other teachers' stuff all moved out.
The finished product:  primed for the first day of school.
I decided to keep my kids' artwork up on the white board to freak out my incoming 8th graders. . .
As you can see, my collection of artificial trees made the long trip up from my Florida classroom to be a part of my new teaching gig. 
An upgrade to my old ELMO doc cam setup - I look forward to using this as much as humanly possible in my new lessons
Remember that stool chair?  Yeah, Kris wouldn't let me keep it by my vinyl in the living room - despite the fact that it's vintage - so now it's up at the front of my classroom.
My work computer (and direct ancestor, former U.S. President John Tyler - one of our nation's worst)
The Command Center
Of course I rigged an old-school NES into my desk - c'mon.
(I'm a sucker for posters and maps.)
Sadly, I wasn't around to take pictures of the girls' first day of school, but Kris made sure to take a bunch of pics for your viewing pleasure.
Abby's going into First Grade this year
. . . and Alayna's going into Third.
Walking to school
Mandatory picture-in-front-of-the-school-sign pic
Abby, in her new classroom
Yours Truly, minutes before students entered his room for the first time. . .

- Brian

No comments: