Monday, December 18, 2017

Santa's New Look (Again)


Happy Holidays, America.

I'm starting the last few days of work before I take two weeks off for the Holidays, and I am really, really looking forward to it.  My students have all but completely shut down over the course of the last week or so, as we get closer and closer to the beginning of Winter Break, and I can hardly blame them.  I'm funned out as well - I think I'm rebelling against the confines of my classroom just as much as they are.

Anyway, today was a brief respite from the gauntlet of these last few days before Break:  we got to watch Abby's second-grade class put on their annual Christmas play.  Like her sister before her, Abby has Mrs. Larson this year as a teacher, so the play was one that we had all seen before:  Santa's New Look.  The music, costumes, and stage direction was all the exact same as it was when we had seen it two years ago, and so there weren't any surprises this time around.

I still had the songs stuck in my head from when Alayna performed it two years ago, so now it looks like I'll have another couple years of "Santa Claus/Santa Claus/You are much too fat-TTT" to look forward to.

Hooray for me. . .

All the kids played the role of Santa's elves, then a handful had additional roles they changed into throughout the play (again, like last time.)
The girl to the right of Abby is Ella, one of her friends and the daughter of some people we hang out with regularly.
Choreographed dance moves.  Par for the course in second grade.
We managed to snag front row seats for this play, just like last time, which was awesome - took some of the stress off of taking pictures for the evening.  I also got to play around with my new lens, which worked out a lot better than my old 18-55mm I used last time around.
Ella and her 'brother' hear a burglar in the house. . .
Suiting up in the 'wings' for the Courthouse Scene
The police arrive on the scene and take Santa into custody.  This play is weird.
Patiently waiting to drop the Hammer of Justice on Santa Claus. . . 
Judge Abby enters the courtroom. . .
Abby didn't seem nervous at all for this, which was pretty impressive.
She also remembered all of her lines flawlessly, just had to be reminded at one point in time to speak into the microphone instead of to the people she was interacting with.
"ORDER IN THE COURT" (she loved her gavel.)
More singing, more hand motions.  You know how these Christmas plays go.
Delivering handmade Christmas presents to the audience during one of the 'spirit of Christmas'-y jams.
Mrs. Larson and the Devil's Brigade, kindly reminding parents and grandparents to help stack some f***ing chairs on their way out of the school.
Abby's class.

- Brian

No comments: