Monday, September 14, 2015

Another Hipsterly Project

They should make a game where you shoot these.
I know I make fun of hipsters a lot, but I'd like to point out that the main reason I do so (besides them being absolutely ridiculous in all things) is because they frickin' copy and exploit ALL the crap I've been into for years.

Book enthusiast?   Check.
Music snob?   Check.
'70s/'80s electronics?  Check.
Vinyl record collecting?   Check.
Pipe-smoking?   Check.
Ukuleles?   Check.
Old man hats?   Check.
Beer?   Check.

And vintage bicycles?  Yeah, that too.

Damn you very much, Hipsters.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I want everyone out there in Cyberspace to know that Yours Truly proceeds hipsters in all things, including the acquisition and restoration of vintage bicycles.  I was doing it waaaay before it was cool, hipsters - so stop frickin' making me look bad.  It's annoying.

My restored Varsity.  Next up:  I'm going to replace the seat with a brown, leather Schwinn seat, and finish it off with a matching saddlebag briefcase/laptop/messenger bag that attaches to the rear rack.  Then I'll probably buy some matching brown, leather handlebar wrap (my old handlebar tape is starting to peel off.)

As I've mentioned before, I inherited my Dad's old '76 Schwinn Varsity back in 2005, and for the last couple of months have been busy restoring it to its former glory (as well as sprucing it up with some bitchin' new saddlebags and accessories - see pic above.)  It's been a lot of fun and has kept my mind off the never-ending and often-times depressing quest to find a full-time job up here in Michigan.  Well, recently, I acquired yet another addition to the Hough Family Fleet of Wheels.

How Clare folk roll in their natural environment.
During my last trip to Clare with the Fam - to hang out with Trevor and Sara McNerney, and to celebrate the combined birthdays of my nephews, Bradley and Jax - I accompanied my folks over the Cindy's parents' house to pick up a propane grill they were giving to us.  This was an incredibly generous gesture - not only did they give us a grill, but they also threw in three propane tanks, a cover, and a ton of grill tools on top of it.  Pretty awesome.

In addition - much to my wife's dismay at the time - they also gave me a vintage Huffy Escape.  They had wanted to get rid of it for quite some time, but when Dad saw it he told them how I had done such a great job cleaning up the old Varsity, Grandma Jones (Cindy's mom) gave it to me on the spot.  It's in worse condition than the Varsity was when I got it, but I have no doubt I'll be able to fix it back up with some effort.

Check it out:

 
 
 
 
- Brian

No comments: