Wednesday, December 22, 2010

New Ink, Vol. II

Hi players,

So, once again, a trip back home to Michigan for Christmas meant my brother Chris and I were off to get more ink done at Intricate Decor in Mt. Pleasant.

Last year, I had the Hough family coat of arms done on my the inside of my left forearm, while I had a shamrock and the Gaellic word for 'Cannonball' done on the inside of my right.

When I had those designs done last year, I knew there was additional work that needed to be done in order for either sleeve design in order to look right. Not being one who flips through a design board at a Tattoo parlor and says "That Chinese symbol for 'strength' is sweet - I want that on my arm!," I decided that I needed to put some research into what - and how - I was going to go about adding to my existing designs.

I figured that since Alayna's design was prominently Irish, Abby's should be prominently Saxon English. That's both sides of the family's ethnic background right there.


I came up with a design for an Irminsul and had that done directly below Cannonball's existing Shamrock on the inside of my right forearm. Then, in order to match the existing design, I had Athas Athar, which is Gaellic for 'Father's Joy' (the meaning of Abigail) added across the top.

The right arm isn't done - I don't necessarily care for three, individual and independent designs in succession down the forearm. I'd much rather have them blended together into something, and that, dear readers, will probably be next year's installment.

The left arm this year was, once again, the bulk majority of my time in the chair. I had laurels added to the outside of the existing coat of arms, as you can see here:



...and then had a band done around my left bicep of an Anglo-Saxon design taken of a 7th century Saxon shield that was unearthed in England, close from where the Hough family originated. Designs like this were engraved into weapons and armament in order to bring good fortune to those that carried them into combat, and are unique to the native English people.

Usually, when it comes to bands like this, you see folks get something Celtic, but I wanted something that more accurate to our family's background. Besides, that Celtic crap is played out for me... everybody does it.

Kris had some work done this time around as well, and she, too, opted to add to existing work. She has an Ankh at the small of her back, so she had meanings of both girls' names (Alayna - peace, Abby - joy) added in Gaellic on either side. She's pretty happy with what she had done, but, unlike yours truly, I think she's done with the whole tattooing thing from here on out.


While she was getting her work done, Chris, Jenna and I got to drive across town and check out a record store that just popped up in Mt. Pleasant, wherein I managed to snatch up 26 records for $10. The store was pretty small, and the selection wasn't that great, but the prices were great, and I was able to fill in a few holes in my record collection, while also picking up some rarities (Dukes of Dixieland?! Booya!). Not as great a score as the sort one can obtain during, say, the Hunter's Creek Community Garage Sale, sure - but still not too shabby at all.

- Brian

No comments: