Friday, April 23, 2010

Seven Years

What a horrible anniversary this is.


On this day, seven years ago, Virgil Q's Dixieland Kazoo Revue played its one and only show at Newton Court. And while that was definitely an event worthy of marking down on a calendar and observing on an annual basis, it holds even greater significance for yours truly:


That was the last time I ever played on a drum set. I'm serious.



Big whoop, you say? Yeah, it kind of is. Its weird coming to grips with the fact that its been seven years without so much as sitting down behind a set, especially seeing how drums used to be such a major part of my daily existence throughout my teens/twenties. Equally weird is this being even feasible in the first place, considering how Goddamn good I was at wielding drum sticks.


A freak occurrence, rest assured. First there was two years of service in Africa (which would obviously prohibit me from throwing a drum set in a suitcase) and the near-simultaneous abduction and disappearance of my dear Colossus Maximus. Then came my return home, only to spend four years dwelling in apartments (which, as a rule, aren't the greatest places to set up drums). Finally, seven years later, I once again have a house... only now, due to a quasi-cruel twist of fate, I have roommates in diapers that aren't, shall we say, of the 1214/Sausage Pad caliber.


Here's hoping that it won't be another seven years before I end up with sticks in my hands once more. Cross thy fingers.

- Brian

No comments: