Friday, August 8, 2014

'A Beautiful Day,' or 'Summer's Great Death Rattle'


Happy Beautiful Day, readers.

Celebrate the season.

No.
Another August 8th upon us already.  Time's flying by these days, which makes sense 'cause I'm in my mid-30s now and that's the norm for older people, right?  This summer felt like it was five minutes long, and we really didn't do shit these last two months.  Kris worked, the kids split their time between Sunchild and going to Aquatica with me, and whenever I had time to myself I indulged in the usual sun/pipe/book pasttime or else in front of the Wii U, plundering the Caribbean.

Good times.

Anyway.

Unpacking crap in the Studio this week.
Good times are over now.  Now we're back to the pre-planning grind that ushers in the new school year, and this year is already shaping up to becoming the most horrifying year of my professional career.  I just found out - seriously, like, a day or two ago - that I'll be teaching four Media Productions classes and two Ancient History classes.  That's fine, whatever. . . but there's NO computers or technology to speak of, and God knows how one's supposed to teach a computer class without computers.

Half of the Studio is now my personal office, seeing how I don't have my own classroom this year (I'll moving those desks shortly.)
Another shot of my Studio, in the midst of being set up.
My command center - home away from home.
I came back to school to find most of the Studio had turned into storage - the media center had been gutted to accommodate new carpeting, so they needed to store all the computers and equipment in the Studio to get it out of the way.  So that's what I've been moving around all week.  Loads of fun.
I lost the A/V room, too - it's now tech storage.  Cowabunga.
Oh yeah, I don't have a classroom this year, either.  Seriously.  I'm a floater for those two history classes - using other teachers' classrooms around campus and meeting my students there in order to teach my subject content.  I still have the Studio, but it's built for twelve kids - not the twenty-eight I currently have in my class rosters.

No room, no equipment, too many students = fun year.

At least it's my last.

Other people have brighter prospects as we launch into the new school year.  Kris was recently promoted at Sunchild Academy, filling an administrative position that was left open upon the departure of a previous employee.  She'll be receiving a raise (booya), but is also going to be able to pick Alayna up directly after school, which means we'll be saving hundreds a month in After School fees.

Which I'm somewhat cool with.

Parenting is my strong suit.
Speaking of Alayna's school, John Young Elementary no longer resembles a dilapidated trailer park - it's now a bonafide, high-tech building (note: I tried looking for images on Google, but couldn't find anything - they're still finishing the inside, and will hopefully be finished by the first day of school.)  No word yet on who her teacher will be for first grade, but she starts the same day I do - August 18th.

Indiana Jones books for emerging readers.  Hell yes.
Finally, Abby's going to be starting VPK on the 18th as well.  She'll be in a room with two excellent teachers and will hopefully take to it as easily as Alayna did.  Abby tends to be just as stubborn as her sister, but also has a hair-trigger temper, so we'll see what happens.

So yeah.  That's where we're at on this most beautiful of days - preparing for the chaos that will soon engulf us all, and enjoying Summer's final death rattle.

See ya later, CyberSpace,

- Brian

No comments: